Saturday, November 14, 2009

Gracias

This week, I started praying in Spanish, both unwittingly and intentionally.
Yesterday, a few of us climbed to nearly 17,000 feet and peaked the tallest mountain in Cochabamba. At the top we were met with a beautiful snowfall and the sounds and shocks of an unbelievably surreal electrical storm. As we shot current out the tips of our fingers like wands from Ollivander's, the prayer that came automatically was, "Tu eres increíble!"
But during the ride to and from the base of the mountain when we rounded these corners, and our driver veered nearer and nearer the edges of cliffs, my prayers went straight back to my mother tongue, there was no time to risk using the wrong words.

As Thanksgiving approaches here, less formally than in the States of course, but the sentiment is here nonetheless, I wanted to share my appreciation for you and for all He does for me.

"Gracias Señor por tu Hijo, Jesús. Gracias por tu presencia siempre, por tus bendeciones abundantes, y por mi familia que me cuida. Gracias Padre porque me rodeas de gente que me ama y de gente a quien amar. Te pido que me muestres como puedo amarlos mejor. Gracias por la majestad de tus montañas y la maravilla de tu creacion. Tu eres demasiado bueno conmigo. Gracias por tu gracia. En el nombre de Jesús, amen."

In English, to save some of you a step with Google Translator, "Thank you Lord, for your Son, Jesus. Thank you for your presence always, for your abundant blessings, and for my family that takes care of me. Thank you Father for surrounding me with people that love me and people to love. I ask that you show me how I can love them better. Thank you for the majesty of the mountains and the wonder of your creation. You are too good to me. Thank you for your grace. In the name of Jesus, amen."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We thank Him for you too! And for keeping you from falling off of cliffs and getting electrocuted.

Looks like el espanol is coming along muy bien! Good work -

love
Mom

Jason said...

What an adventure. It's gotta be exciting for the Spanish to be bubbling up on its own, especially in prayer.

Phoenix feather or unicorn tail strand?

Lauren Spears said...

I'm gonna go with Phoenix feather every time Jason! Y tu?

Jason said...

Definitivamente pluma de Phoenix!