Friday, November 27, 2009

Turkey Trot

I've received quite a few condolences regarding my Thanksgiving away from home, and believe me, as Turkey Day is notorious for my favorite foods by far, I would have welcomed the pity if it had at all been justified. But I cannot let you believe a mistruth, it was amazing! My friend Savannah and I even reenacted a Turkey Trot by meeting at 5:45 am to run for an hour, (because you just can't break a tradition of masochism on such a special day.)
Over 20 people (mostly ex-pats) spent a long relaxing day at my friends' the Wolheter's with a (very expensive imported) turkey and all the fixin's.
How could I not feel cared for at a dinner replete with pumpkin name cards, feather napkin holders and a turkey bread basket all lovingly created by the Wolheter clan.
The dessert table overflowed with beauties such as pecan pie, just like mom makes, pumpkin imported probably just for the likes of us, and caramel apple pie somewhat similar to my Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen favorite.
And to spoil us completely rotten, we tried a new Thanksgiving experiment, homemade pumpkin pie ice cream. Success!!
So, thank you to everyone who ate double portions for me at home, and made my favorite treats in my honor, but I can't let you feel sorry for me. I have SO much to be thankful for here and a mouthwatering Thanksgiving feast, with friends like new family, is one of those blessings.

"From them will come songs of thanksgiving and the sound of rejoicing."
-Jeremiah 30:19

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Now I'm feeling sorry for myself!

Just kidding, glad you had such a good Thanksgiving!

Love
Mom

B said...

hey lady. long time eh? sorry life has been wizzin by. I hope you are well. I worked on my blog last night and it reminded me you wanted help. skype me and we can figure it out together.

Reta said...

Lauren,
You ate turkey! Yes - yeah - yippy - you are lucky. And had great friends around you as well. You are blessed and were blessed my many. Reta