Monday, October 11, 2010

Endoscopy and English

Last week, Dr. Glenn Gaines graced us with his presence, his endoscopy expertise, and his goofy sense of humor. Part of what we, as VetRed, do is bring down veterinarians to train the university staff, students, and sometimes local professionals in areas they request. This time the request was for someone to come and teach them how to use this fancy endoscope they'd invested in, but has since only been collecting dust. Glenn was just that man.
Having clowned around in private practice for many years in Texas, he then moved on to cause trouble in Mongolia with VetRed's sort of sister project V.E.T.Net for 3 years. In my humble opinion, both endoscope-laden settings were really just God preparing him for his week here. He was a great sport about everything, and his flexibility about the schedule, frustrating problems with the scope itself, and minor problems with my car (shocking I know) reflected the peace he has through Jesus. The students and faculty loved him and showed their appreciation by feeding him nearly to his bursting point.
He was really fun to have with us, a great help to igniting the university's endoscopy program, and a witness of the joy of Christ to everyone he came in contact with, starting on the airplane ride here. However, I cannot say I would recommend him as an English teacher. He comes with a thick Texas accent, with heavy traces of Southern "grammar". The drawl slowed him down enough that my intermediate veterinary English students could understand him pretty well, but when he used the word "ain't" in class I had to put my foot down.

Thanks for everything Glenn! (I'll try to retrain my students tonight, I hope the damage wasn't irrevocable.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a blessing to have someone like that down there for a few days.

I am truly shocked about the car! I thought your mechanic friends had solved all of its problems!

Lauren said...

I have mechanic friends? It was just another flat tire, #5.