Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What Now?


We made it!  We arrived in the States on Friday more or less intact, minus some glass jars of dulce de leche and Angie's heart, neither of which made the trip completely unfazed. The dulce de leche's replaceable and Angie's heart is already on the mend now surrounded by calm, family, our dog Ruby, and probably her favorite: television. 

On our first morning in the US after a tumultuous full day of travel Friday we rode the metro to the National Zoo in DC. On the escalator ride back above ground I heard pan flute music as if we'd never left Bolivia, and had a bit of a Twilight Zone moment.  When we arrived at the top there was an Aymara man from La Paz playing his Bolivian tunes.  What a sweet surprise of God to make our transition a little more gradual.

We spent a wonderful weekend reconnecting with friends in DC and Baltimore and introducing Jon and Angie to my Mosaic church home.  Now we're finally settling down in Louisville at my parents' house until the wedding in July.  

One of the most popular questions I've been asked during this whirlwind is "What are you going to do now for work?"

So, here's an excerpt from my April prayer letter that addresses just that: 

One rock in the transience of our future, is Christian Veterinary Mission.  My country of service with CVM will change, but my role will remain surprisingly similar.  Brad Frye, my director, says that “CVM is all about the crossroads of the Great Commission and our Great Profession, or for many vets and students -- their great passion.”  Living at the intersection between our faith and our profession, brings new significance to our work, while serving Christ and the less fortunate with our skills brings glory to God.  
For the past three years I’ve been spreading this message, encouraging vets and students to find the sweet spot between their love for Christ and for animals, here in Bolivia.  For the next phase of life God has provided a way for me to do the same thing, but with a home base in Kentucky, to accommodate our growing family’s current needs.  In the States, instead of representing VetRed, I’ll be stepping into the position of CVM’s Southeastern Regional Representative.  Networking between seven regional veterinary universities, various conferences and state representatives, I’ll be working to challenge, empower and support veterinarians and students to hit the sweet spot for God’s kingdom.  Whether motivating them to serve overseas in short or longterm missions, or casting a vision for how vets can minister in their practices through the unique relationships they have with their clients, I hope to inspire an excitement for putting 1 Peter 4:10 into practice, “God has given each of you a gift. Use it to help each other.  This will show God’s loving-favor.”

As a “former” tennis player, I’m elated to say that I think this role will be the sweet spot for me as well.  Combining my love for working with college students, my history with CVM, my experience speaking to groups, my time serving abroad as a veterinary missionary, my affinity for administration, and the flexibility I’ll need to continue improving as Angie’s mom and start improving as Jon’s wife.
I will continue to depend on your support, even more so than before as expenses are much higher in the U.S. I hope that you’ll prayerfully consider how God would have you be a part of this ministry. Jesus calls us to multiplication, through your prayers and generosity we can disciple more followers to share His love through their profession.  If you’d like to hear more details over a meal, a jog, or at your church or small group, let me know, I’d love to introduce you to Angie, Jon and our new ministry.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hope we're at least in the running for her favorite thing about the US! ;-0 Glad to have you back!!!!