Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Update on the Birthday Boy

Somebody had a birthday yesterday.  I don't feel like such a cougar anymore now that we're the same age again, Jon milks those six months and one day of age difference between us for every drop.
It's been awesome having him down here with us, he fits in perfectly. Last weekend we had a conference with our church, La Viña, and since we have the biggest car around we went to help pick up all the food.  You could barely tell Jon apart from the Cholita women in El Abasto, the open air market where we haggled for the best deals on everything from fruit and vegetables to dried meat.
At Judah Quy, the home of the precious little ones, they have a whole list of honey-do projects for him.  He's fixed a gate, hung some mailboxes, and is working on repairing their injured rocking chair.
We got him some duct tape for his birthday, maybe that'll help with the rocking chair.  The single female missionary theory is that if it doesn't move and it should -- just add W-40, if it moves and it shouldn't -- duct tape. 
In his spare time, he's helping Angie with homework, trying not to pass out during my surgeries, falling asleep during my English classes, trying to stay awake during his Spanish classes, keeping me company while I renew my visa, finding his way around the city, fixing the car, daydreaming about air conditioning, planning to start getting involved at the missionary airport, tickling Angie, playing board games, preparing yummy meals, and generally improving our quality of life down here.  So don't worry, he's not bored, and if he were, I'd surely find him something to do. 

Our young married couples' small group celebrated his birth with the traditional cake-in-the-face Bolivian fun.   
God has been SO good to me.  I've been hesitant to shout from the rooftops how great married-life is, because I know there are lots of people who'd love to be married, but more so, because I'm not sure at all that the institute of marriage is in itself wonderful; waking up next to anyone else in the world for the rest of my life frankly sounds pretty dreadful, but spending the rest of my life with Jon leading our family is like a dream come true.

"Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart’s desires." - Psalm 37:4

1 comment:

Lisa said...

So is that why you pushed the cake in his face at the wedding, to prepare him for Bolivian birthdays? ;0 Glad to hear you're all doing so well!