Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Tacos

I know, I know, Thanksgiving and tacos don't have a single overlapping ingredient, but neither do Thanksgiving and Bolivia, well except maybe a few displaced gringos. Last week five of us displaced North Americans ventured to Cochabamba to join with other pilgrims in celebrating all that we have to be thankful for with overpriced turkey and all the traditional fixings that we either had brought down from the US or overpaid for here.

However, while I was indulging in my favorite food of the year with some of my favorite people, one friend in particular was avoiding all normal Thanksgiving foods like the plague. My dear friend Savannah accompanied by her sister Alison, who was surprise visiting from the US, went out for barbeque chicken wraps followed by movie theater popcorn to avoid the customary feast. I don't think we'd ever been seen in dresses together outside of church so after our late night viewing of HP7 we had a guard document the occasion with a photo. The next night, after visiting all the old Cochabamba hotspots, we made Thanksgiving tacos with our beloved language school director, Mauge. Don't worry we had pumpkin bread and apple pie to make it truly Thanksgiving-y.
I'm also so thankful for the Wolheters with whom we cooked, ate, played Settlers, and hiked to a "waterfall." Their boys are growing up way too fast! I'm thankful for my traveling companions Taylor and the Janeckes who made our Thanksgiving trip into the type of family-vacation that makes it nearly impossible to miss a "normal" Turkey Day. And so thankful for Skype that makes it impossible to miss my "real" family. But as life-like as Skype is, it has nothing to compare with the long awaited hugs I'll be sharing with so many of you that I'm thankful for in 2.5 weeks!

"Let your roots grow down into Him, and let your lives be built on Him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness." - Colossians 2:7 NLT

No comments: