Tuesday, December 7, 2010

My Christmas Angel

Disclaimer: If you haven't read my December electronic prayer letter, you might wanna start there.




“Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due when it is in your power to do it.”-Proverbs 3:27








If you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday.” -Isaiah 58:10




“...If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?” -1 John 3:17





“Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.” -James 1:27




“Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” -James 1:22




Many of you know the first three verses have guided my life and decisions for years. And now I’ve followed them into the idea of starting a family. It wasn’t a hard decision as you’ll learn once you meet Angelica. If I hadn’t been so quick I surely would have missed my chance as others would have scooped her up right away.

She sings in a little choir, plays the flute, loves to make jewlery and art, and learns tasks with lightning speed. But don’t worry we do have some things in common too. She’s full of energy and always up for any chance to run or play sports. She’s adventurous and curious and only afraid of the really important things like snakes and large scary birds. She’s the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, and will be teaching me math in no time. She’s always patiently taking care of the younger or weaker around her, including me. Her smile rocks my world, and as one friend put it, when she walks into a room she brings peace. She loves Jesus.

But even with all this in her favor I did not choose her as it would appear. I met her on Christmas Eve at Talita Cumi. In April I asked them which children still needed sponsors,but then couldn’t decide between the two that were left, so I took them both. My other precious child turns 17 tomorrow and also has a brother and sister in the home. In September, I learned that Angelica was becoming adoptable and God immediately started to speak to my heart, basically whispering “why wait for someone else to love her, I’m asking you.” And thus begins our story. I hope you’ll stay with us to hear the rest as it unfolds...

3 comments:

B said...

the Christmas story is a story of adoption. Joseph adopted Jesus! What a great way to celebrate, by sharing His love!

Lauren said...

Love it! Check out my FB page, just added that...

Unknown said...

The two of you definitely belong together! So much alike and yet you each have so much to learn from each other!