Monday, December 13, 2010

Advent Attitude

[When we talk about December, how many people think? "Sigh, the most relaxing time of the year." "Ah yes, this free open space, this month out of the twelve, where I just feel the calm." For many people December is just, "Oh my word, let's just get through it." To which I think Jesus would say, "Oh, well done, that's what I had in mind."]

This sarcastic last line to a point Rob Bell was making recently really struck me. I LOVE Christmas; the lights, the giving, the sweets, the parties, the family! And fortunately, I kind of thrive on being busy, but in the busyness do I sometimes lose sight of the meaning of advent? Yes.

Strangely here, the activities are not all Christmas related, and none of them involve snow, but somehow this season is just as busy this side of the equator as it was nearer the North pole.

Between an end-of-school teacher's barbecue,
the semi-annual yard-sale,
our church moving into our very own building for the first time,
Talita Cumi's quarterly birthday party,

hosting a going-away party for our World Concern national director,
and having everyone over for our VetRed year-end/Christmas party,
I stayed fairly busy this weekend.
Did I mention that I also had 3 out of town guests visiting? So, I may not have cancelled all activities to focus on the Advent, but during all of this running around I don't think my blood pressure's risen once, because I've taken Rob Bell's covenant, as I recommend you do as well:

"I, hereby, do solemnly swear to not lose the plot this Christmas season. I will not worry, complain or stress over gift-giving, traffic, parties, spiked eggnog, or generally annoying busyness. In the spirit of advent I will slow down, be still, awake and aware of the divine mystery that looks so common and so ordinary, yet is wondrously present..."

"She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins." -Matthew 1:21

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm going to write that covenant on my hand and look at it every 5 minutes between now and Christmas!
Thanks for the reminder not to lose the plot.