Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas in Colorado

I'm often asked what I've missed about the US while I've been away, and my answer sometimes includes Krispy Kreme doughnuts or snow, but it's usually no longer an answer than simply; "the people". Few things could have kept me from Mosaic's first ever Christmas Eve service, but these adorable -- I wouldn't dare call them that to their faces, they're way too much like teenagers for that kind of description -- cousins, and everyone else in attendance at the Scott Christmas, made an excellent substitute for my church family.

As many as 16 of us, at any one time, cozied into the two bathroom house for four days of games, amazing food, presents, overdue chats, pictures of Angelica, and good old family fun. We ventured out for hikes, skiing/snowboarding, hot springs, a little last minute shopping, and visits to my grandfather in the local hospital with an untimely case of pneumonia. But God was so sweet to allow him to be discharged to us on Christmas Eve. In his usual selflessness, he was worried about keeping everyone up all night coughing, but I'm sure everybody would agree, that each peep out of him was just a welcomed reminder that he was home with us for Christmas.
When I left the US and my family almost a year and a half ago, my three cousins, who'd all been pretty much perfect since birth, were starting to blow me away with their talent, thoughtfulness, and exuberance, it was a difficult goodbye. A couple months after I left, Rachel--the youngest--was gifted a stuffed horse and a little girl doll for her 7th birthday. She named the horse "Bolivia" and the girl "Lauren". This visit I had the honor of meeting "Lauren" and "Bolivia", and I fantasized about the days when Ange will get to play with this fabulous trio, who calls me "Willis" for no apparent reason, but is nearly impossible to leave nonetheless. Now the question is; will all 15 of those in attendance at the Scott family Christmas be buying tickets down to South America to meet the newest member of their clan, or will we be sneaking home sometime in the next year or so for the long-anticipated introductions...
Either way, we'll be together and that's all that really matters.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We are blessed to be part of that wonderful family! And now Ange will be blessed by it also. Hope she will get to meet everyone soon!