Friday, December 24, 2010

First Leg of the Perfect Trip

I guess if you don’t have culture shock on arrival in a new country, it’s unlikely you’ll have reverse culture shock on the return, but I had no idea it’d be this easy to transition back into the American Dream. And by the American Dream I mean, of course, wearing other people’s winter clothes, sleeping in their beds, eating their food, and playing with their babies, who’ve grown up so much in a year and a half!


On Saturday, my first day back in the States, after the shocking realization that everyone’s really tall here, I had a fabulous day in DC. Snow covered parks, buildings lit with Christmas lights, and leafless trees (never thought I would think that was beautiful) set the backdrop for a sweet lunch and reunion with my mom’s best friend from college, Carolyn, and dinner with my best friend from high school, Amanda. It was a day of nostalgia, Rollerderby, and my re-introduction to amazing American food.


Sunday, was an awesome reunion with my Mosaic family. Where they, as usual, blessed my socks off with their love, encouragement, generosity, and hugs. Which continued into a perfect three days of visits, lunches, dinners, game night, and long missed conversations with people I so respect, depend on, and miss...


If I didn't have such great friends and family to move on to in Colorado and Kentucky, it would have been impossible to leave. And I can't stop thinking if I didn't have Angelica to return to in Bolivia, it'd be awfully hard to give all this wonderfulness up yet again.


I’ve been terribly worried about my avid blog followers (who probably only exist in my imagination) who’ve been desperately awaiting their weekly update, but it turns out Colorado’s worse than a third world country in its internet access...


Feliz Navidad! Merry Christmas to you all! Hope yours is snow covered like mine, now I'm off to hit the slopes...


"Thanks be to God for His indescribable Gift!" -2 Corinthians 9:15

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You seem to have a great time wherever you go! Hmmm, what's the common denominator here? :-)