Monday, June 30, 2008

Cracker Jacks and Fresca

When making friends on the streets of Baltimore it is crucial that you take Cracker Jacks, and maybe some Fresca, but never cheesy fries.

Reading the book Under the Overpass by Mike Yankoski recently left me staring at my ceiling from my comfortable bed craving homeless fellowship.

Against my own better judgement (only because some people have yet to fully recover from the picking-up-hitchhikers incident of months ago), I opted not to traipse through the city alone at night, thus prolonging my withdrawals. But finally, last night Josh, the Mosaic intern, and I made it out to get our fill of the streets of The Salty Balti. After sharing some Outback leftovers, some stories that nearly made me cry, some laughs that nearly made me cry, and some prayer we had made new friends, and I had gotten my fix. But I'm sure the addiction won't let me rest long, I'll need another shot soon, wanna come?

Here are some words from Mike's book that may leave you staring at your ceiling tonight:

"We hear a Christian assure someone that he will 'pray over' his problem, knowing full well that he intends to use prayer as a substitute for service. It is much easier to pray that a poor friend's needs may be supplied than to supply them." -A. W. Tozer

"What's worse? To not do dope or to not love your brother?...Why do we reject the loving, self-sacrificing, giving, encouraging, Jesus-pursuing drug addict, but recruit the clean, self-interested, gossiping, loveless churchgoer? Which one do you suppose Jesus would rather share a burrito with under a bridge?" -Mike Yankoski

"Christ died for men precisely because men are not worth dying for; to make them worth it." -C.S. Lewis

No comments: